Properties of circles

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Jan 11 11:58:58 PST 2004

Thanks Joelle...those are indeed the instructions.

Try this exercise Therese:  Make a picture in your mind that you are
facing east and sitting on a line that runs exactly north-south...a
straight line.  Imagine trying to see that whole line at once.  You
can't do it.  You have to turn your head right and left to see it.

Now imagine that line curving in to the north or south of you so that it
makes a giant arc or a circle in front of you.  You can see the whole
line now, where it curves around towards you and meets beneath you and
where it extends away from you.  And you might describe that whole line
as being in front of you.  There is no part of that line that is behind
you.  Therefore, you are sitting "behind" every other point on the line.

Even better, get 8 or 10 people (or more) and just try following the
directions with them!  But if you lack a handy crowd at the moment, this
thought experiment should do.

Cheers,

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada
http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

(604) 947-9236

Joelle
> Lyons Everett
> Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 11:14 AM
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> Subject: Re: Properties of circles
>
> Therese, Doris--
>
> It really does work.  Putting your chair square to the center means
making
> sure that your chair faces the center straight on, not slanted off to
one
> side
> or the other.
>
> Your chair must be a bit behind those on either side because every
point
> on
> the circumference of a circle is equidistant from the center.  From
your
> point,
> your chair is a bit behind the ones on either side.  From your
neighbor's
> point, she is a bit behind you.
>
> I had never thought about these rules consciously, but when I read
Chris'