Properties of circles

Therese Fitzpatrick theresefitz at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 09:17:49 PST 2004

I am having a hard picturing your instructions, Chris.  Why put each chair
slightly behind the two beside it?  How can all chairs be slightly behind
the two behind it?  I know I am missing something simple and feel a bit
sheepish but I love circles and I want to get this instrucion.

>From: Chris Corrigan <chris at chriscorrigan.com>
>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>Subject: Re: Properties of circles
>Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:29:20 -0800
>
>John:
>
>It works beautifully.  It's essentially flocking behaviour.  In other
>words, complex groups like flocks operate on only a few basic rules.
>For flocks the basic rules are:
>
>1. Separation: steer to avoid crowding local flockmates.
>2. Alignment: steer towards the average heading of local flockmates.
>3. Cohesion: steer to move toward the average position of local
>flockmates.
>
>Use these rules and you can create fantastic artificial flocks.
>
>It's the same way with a large group forming a circle:
>
>1. Square yourself to the centre
>2. Place your chair slightly behind your two neighbours (it seems
>strange to think that every point on a circle can be behind every other
>point, but Escher's geometry was never do easy to play with!).
>
>That's it.  What happens is that each individual carries those simple
>instructions and this elegant structure emerges in SECONDS.  And then
>this is often followed by an audible sigh as people experience the
>transcendent moment.  I love doing this especially with large groups.
>Once I had 200 youth do it and was amazing.  They couldn't stop talking
>about it.
>
>Try finding the rules that will get a large group into a square.  That
>would be an interesting exercise.  Do it without telling them where the
>corners should be.  I can't imagine that without a table, they would
>form a perfect square, especially with a facilitator standing in the
>centre.  It would be too awkward near the corners to be looking straight
>across a row of laps.  I'm certain the chair would want to ache inward,
>like a super-ellipse (thanks Alex!)
>
>The learning here is that it seems to me that circles are natural forms
>of human geometry.  We do not have 180 degree peripheral vision, so if
>we need to take the world in, it has to curve around in front of us.  As
>a result, it is true that circles animate agency, because it feels to
>each of us as if the shape is there for our own benefit.  And we all
>experience the benefit equally.  The world is curving in front of ME,
>and doing exactly the same thing in front of YOU.
>
>Anyway, this is a great thread...keep it going!
>
>Chris
>
>---
>CHRIS CORRIGAN
>Bowen Island, BC, Canada
>http://www.chriscorrigan.com
>chris at chriscorrigan.com
>
>(604) 947-9236

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime