Properties of circles

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Sun Jan 11 04:55:13 PST 2004

Thanks, Chris C., for raising this conversation and to all the others who
participated till now. It is a very insightful conversation circle.

It reminded me of the words of the Guide that I quote freely - "in many
cultures we talk about a circle of friends and not about a square of
friends" (or a U-shape of friends, for that matter). Within this metaphor,
the circle reminds me of - wholeness, intimacy, sense of the group and
diversity (of members). And a lot of other things that have already been
referred.

Being myself a "reflective practitioner" I think it is not enough to
practice something - to understand and improve we must reflect on it.  The
circle is for me one of the most important - if not the most important - of
the "foundations of OST".  I have proposed somewhere a possible list of
some others (
http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?FoundationsofOST ), and
would like to invite a similar conversation on some of them.

We tend to concentrate too much of our conversations on the "principles",
and I have my doubts about them. Maybe if we concentrate more on the other
foundations, we will be able to conclude if the "principles" are really
"principles", if they are results (corollaries?) of the topology of the
other "foundations" or if they are just one more thing not to ;-)

My two Eurocents

With warm regards to all

Artur