Properties of circles

toke toke at interchange.dk
Sat Jan 10 06:53:04 PST 2004

Dear Chris and friends of circles

thanks chris for starting this exploration - a combination of practice
and understanding....
a very circular conversation...

to add my perspective from where I sit at the rim and look at the
circle exploration in the middle I see and know from experience that

- the circle is the beginning and the end of all processes whethr we
know it or not
- it is the collective zero for new beginnings
- the equality field
- it is unconsciously known by all humans / tribes since the beginning
of our species
- it can be a terrible place to sit if not hosted with intent,
consciousness and forward movement
-  to sit in circle is to reveal and make visible the circles that are
always there when humans meet - around fires, tables in smal
conversations even in pairs, etc
- it is a pratice
- a great place for real conversation
- it feels like home
better to experience than to talk about it too much
- it holds much for us now and for the future
- ????

IN CIRCLE THE PRINCIPLE
IN SPIRAL THE PROCESS

IN PRINCIPLE AND PROCESS
A DANCE IS BORN
BRINGING US TO US
- AND THUS WE COME ALIVE

looking forward to discover more

- toke

lørdag 10. jan 2004 kl. 00:00 skrev Chris Corrigan:

> Hi folks:
>
> I was writing out the basic script that I use for opening OST meetings
> last night and while reading it I noticed that I spend a lot of time
> introducing people to the ideas and properties of circles.  I think
> circles are fundamentally important to process, and so I'm collecting
> other people's notes and properties of circles.
>
> So here is my script with the three things I usually do to bring the
> circle to awareness.  Have a read and then ask yourself what you can
> add
> to this.  What are the other cool properties of circles?
>
>                 Circles are really rather neat forms of geometry
> because
> they force us to have a look at things in a particular way.   For
> example in a circle, we don't really know who "the leader" is.  In fact
> we may be forgiven for thinking that the leader is either not here, or
> is each one of us.  And as a leader who is not here cannot do anything,
> it must be that each one of is a leader.
>
>                 Also circles teach us that there are some things that
> can only be done by groups.  For example, you will notice that this
> circle of chairs isn't really a very good circle.  It's actually a
> strangely distorted ellipse.  That is because for one person to set up
> perfect circle of chairs on their own is a nearly impossible task.  But
> I'll show you a small miracle.  I'll stand in the centre here and ask
> all of you to stand by your chairs.  Now square up so that you are
> facing me and when you've done that check to see that you are sitting
> slightly behind your two neighbours.  Now sit down.  Have a look
> around.
> You have just made a perfect circle.  This is something only a group
> can
> do and it took only a few seconds.  If I had had to do that it would
> have taken me hours.  This is important to note.  It's as if we all
> carry the coordinates for calibrating a circle within us but they can
> only be activated by acting along with several others.
>
>                 Finally, here's one more thing about a circle.  If I
> stand in the middle then you will all agree that you are looking at me.
> But none of you will agree that you have the same view of me.  You can
> see me, but your perspective is absolutely unique.  It is not shared by
> anyone else.  We agree on the object of our observation but none of us
> share the same perspective.  Remember that today as we work on these
> issues.  Without each perspective we would not have a full picture.  If
> you were all behind me then none of you could say with certainty that I
> had a face.  By surrounding me we have the whole picture, but we have
> ask one another about the pieces that we are missing.  If you folks
> sitting behind me want to know how many fingers I'm holding up, you
> have
> to ask this person I'm facing.  That's how it is with problems too.
> Remember that today.

> [...]
"Many tensions in the world may originate
from the conversations that never take place."
- Margrethe the second of Denmark - 31.12.03