Properties of circles

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Jan 10 05:43:22 PST 2004

Dear Chris, Mikk, John and all,
when I was a kid one of the things we were really keen on where those
American candies called life savers: a circular sweet with a hole in
it.
I think they are still popular.
Why are they such a success?
Well, to me sitting in a circle (Mikk, if you have a crowd, actually
anything larger than 60 people, there tend to be several circles...so
you dont see everyone unless you turn around or move around...which
is what I encourage people to do when there are several circles: have
a look who sits next to you, behind you, in front of you, across the
space from you) is both the most efficient geometry for interaction
and a means of giving the void (the space in the center) a bearable
size.
As far as the geometry is concerned, there are various other
geometries that we are accustomed to such as squares, rectangles,
half circles, spirals (used in Tavistok Workshops for plenary
interaction), rows, a bunch of small circles, a bunch of squares,
U-shaped, etc.
None of these are absurd.
However, they are each best for particular paradigms, purposes,
goals, degrees of intimidation, colonization, etc.
When I ask people to move into a circle for the exercise "How was it"
at, lets say, the end of a 3,5 hours follow up session where lots of
stuff was done sitting in half-circles (focusing on a task), the mood
changes towards reflection, silence, being a group, appreciation,
etc.
In this case awareness, community, reflection is encouraged by the
geometry of the circle .
Thats different from the openening session of an open space where I
think the circle is the perfect geometry to start into a more
conscious mode of a selforganizing system (thats what I experience
when walking the circle and doing stuff to have the group focus on
itself, its ressources, gifts, experience, knowledge, skills....)
In the "how was it circle" I no longer try to get out of the way.
In the circle at the openening session I do try to get out of the way
as quickly as possible...and for that the circle is the perfect
geometry (I leave the circle the moment people start entering the
space in the center to announce their issues)...so it helps me live
the "be totally present and invisible" mode, however mystifying that
is.
On a different line I wonder what you mean by
"simple systemic change"
(it might imply that there is complex systemic change...and that
being an oxymoron)
and
"colonization" "decolonization"
Is that someone being colonized or decolonized?
Who is doing this colonization, decolonization?
The circle? the geometry?

Beyond all these ponderings I am still quite happy about os-t just
working fine and apparently in all cultures, including
German....pretty independent of how deeply I understand it.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:09:22 -0800, Chris Corrigan wrote:

>Hi Michael, and others:
>
>Okay, let me rephrase this.  I'm not looking for a script for opening,
>I'm looking for more perspectives on what circles do for process.  It's
>a theoretical question, not one of practical significance!  How's that
>for candour?
>
>Seriously, I am interested in this primarily because I am currently
>looking at how process is a significant arena of colonization and why
>recovery and transcendence of indigenous process is a truer and deeper
>form of decolonization than simple systemic change.
>
>As part of this inquiry, naturally I have been working with circles,
>both in Open Space and in other process, including many indigenous
>processes here in Canada.  And I have noticed that circles have
>important impacts on process both from an observational view and from
>the perspective of a participant.
>
>And thus my inquiry about what other have observed circles "doing."
>
>So?
>
>Chris

Noch 8 Plätze zu vergeben zur 3. Lernwerkstatt für open space-BegleiterInnen vom 25. bis 28. Januar 2004 in Vlotho. Jetzt anmelden   www.michaelmpannwitz.de/o_lernwerkstatt2004.htm

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
FON: +49 - 30-772 8000   FAX: +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de
www.openspace-landschaft.de