Properties of circles

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Jan 9 20:09:22 PST 2004

Hi Michael, and others:

Okay, let me rephrase this.  I'm not looking for a script for opening,
I'm looking for more perspectives on what circles do for process.  It's
a theoretical question, not one of practical significance!  How's that
for candour?

Seriously, I am interested in this primarily because I am currently
looking at how process is a significant arena of colonization and why
recovery and transcendence of indigenous process is a truer and deeper
form of decolonization than simple systemic change.

As part of this inquiry, naturally I have been working with circles,
both in Open Space and in other process, including many indigenous
processes here in Canada.  And I have noticed that circles have
important impacts on process both from an observational view and from
the perspective of a participant.

And thus my inquiry about what other have observed circles "doing."

So?

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada
http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

(604) 947-9236

But
> >I'll show you a small miracle.  I'll stand in the centre here and ask
> >all of you to stand by your chairs.  Now square up so that you are
> >facing me and when you've done that check to see that you are sitting
> >slightly behind your two neighbours.  Now sit down.  Have a look
around.
> >You have just made a perfect circle.  This is something only a group
can
> >do and it took only a few seconds.  If I had had to do that it would
> >have taken me hours.  This is important to note.  It's as if we all
> >carry the coordinates for calibrating a circle within us but they can
> >only be activated by acting along with several others.
> >
> >                Finally, here's one more thing about a circle.  If I
> >stand in the middle then you will all agree that you are looking at
me.
> >But none of you will agree that you have the same view of me.  You
can
> >see me, but your perspective is absolutely unique.  It is not shared
by
> >anyone else.  We agree on the object of our observation but none of
us
> >share the same perspective.  Remember that today as we work on these
> >issues.  Without each perspective we would not have a full picture.
If