coping with drug use

Lisa lisaheft at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 3 09:41:33 PST 2004

Dear Avner -

In that OST is about connecting not just to others who share your
passions but also connecting to your fuller self, I have found (as you
indeed have also found) that having Open Spaces both serves the
individual (for example, gives the one using drugs a fuller sense of
their own worth, and helping them find / others hear their own true
voice) and the system (including people served by systems or services in
the Open Space - as well as those who wish to serve / work in the
system/service - brings the 'client's' ideas for change and needs
assessment and what works back into the whole process, thus serving all.
Plus the other thing you know in Open Space is that finally people can
truly witness people as people (one of the recurring statements I hear
in closing circle from those who were supposedly 'served' - such as
youth among adults - is "finally you heard me fully but didn't feel the
need to solve, just truly hear me" and "finally I found those (adults,
whomever) who wish to work *with* me, not *for* me."

You know it will work beautifully, and I am glad you are there.

Warm wishes from chilly Berkeley,  Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e