OST in the academic subject of Organizational Communication

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Sun Jan 25 04:47:53 PST 2004

Dear Alan:

At 16:53 24-01-2004 -0800, peggy at opencirclecompany.com wrote:
>from Alan Stewart...

(..)

>I am preparing an 'expression of interest' for a sessional position (part
>time teaching) in Organizational Communication in the School of
>Communication, Information and New Media at a local university.
>
>Has anyone offered OST (story and experience) as integral components of
>such a course for undergraduate and (post)graduate students?

I have not done exactly that and I am not sure if my experience has some
general use or not, but here it goes.

I have used OST as a "practice" to be used in a different subject, in the
case, teaching management skills through the organization, by a large group
of students, of public events - working in a way that was close to OST.

So the subject was still "management studies" and OST was not a part of the
curriculum but a way of working through the practical assignments. In the
last of my three years' experience, books and sites about OST were made
available and they could be chosen (among others) as theoretical
assignments by individual students - hence the story and principles were
also covered this way.

So, OST was not really taught, but it was somehow practiced and sometimes
studied by students.

Hope this helps

Warm regards from above (or below?)

Artur