An OS experience and a question for advice

Doris Gottlieb dlgottlieb at chello.nl
Mon Jan 19 07:52:23 PST 2004

HI fellow Listers,

Next week I am going to be doing an Open Space event for 2 days with a group
of people who all took part in the same educational program for trainers and
organizational advisors.  Actually, I too am an “alumna” of this training
program and several months ago an initiative came from some people who
wanted to organize some sort of “network” opportuntity and a chance to
explore what we as participants of this program carry as a sort of community
of practice into the marketplace.

For the past year I’ve been focusing on growing in Open Space. I’ve been
interested in it for so long but hadn’t had a chance to work with it. Last
year I made the decision to be open to all opportunities that came to me to
facilitate Open Space and to start talking about it more and more with
clients and others.  I looked at it as a sort of action learning experience
and decided I would take every opportunity I could to do Open Space events
as long as I felt ethically they were okay, even if it meant that they weren
’t “pure” I wanted to find my own way within this method and perspective.

It’s been a very interesting journey so far, but the I’m having questions
about this next OST that I am going to do. Namely, I am now facilitating
this OST while at the same time being one of the organizers and an
ex-participant.
I have made the decision that my role as facilitator means that I won’t
participate in sub-group activities and I’ve also made an agreement with the
other sponsors that they would be there for me should I need any support and
reflection. This feels good, but I’m still sort of scared about doing
something where I am also very much inside the system that is using the OST.
I know there were earlier talks about this but does anyone have any more
advice as to how I can prepare for and best use this time that I have?

Thanks in advace for any help and suggestions people may have.

Sincerely,

Doris Gottlieb

Consulting for the
International Environment