What would you do?

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Sun Feb 29 21:41:38 PST 2004

Dear Therese and you other intrepid souls
to pick up on Birgitts exercise about what a facilitator would
certainly not remove:
For me the most important part of the "Technology" is the "focusing
the group" part.
This is the attempt at the very beginning to encourage the forces of
selforganization to be invigorated by people in the group focusing on
each other and the resources present in abundance.
It is also the attempt at the very beginning to take the focus away
from the facilitator so that she/he can proceed on the journey of
"completely present and totally invisible".
Some people call this part "walking the circle" which, when done
consciously and intently, with the direction indicated above is in my
experience not only the hardest but also the most fruitful
intervention by the facilitator.
If it is missing, as it is in your example, it aint ost in my book.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:14:30 -0800, Therese Fitzpatrick wrote:

>A few years ago, I was a sub-contracted facilitator for a three day annual
>meeting of a trade group.  I did not design the event.  I was just hired to
>facilitate some break out sessions.
>
>In a ninety minute segment on the morning of the last day, the design
>included a 90 minute OS.  The lead facilitator,who also designed the event
>and hired me, spoke about HO for a minute, explained the principles,the law
>of two feet and butterflies and bumble bees.  I think she even told the
>coffee break story.  Then she opened the marketplace.  People went where
>they wanted to go.  Now that was using OS Technology, right?
>
>I may be misunderstanding something here if this was not using OS
>Technology.  Is it only OS Technology if it is a larger and more powerful
>event?
>

>>From: Michael Herman <mherman at globalchicago.net>
>>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>>Subject: Re: What would you do?
>>Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:28:14 -0600
>>
>>yes, this is true, therese.  AND many of these sessions are ONLY 90
>>minutes because the organizers have not heard about ost and don't know
>>that it's possible to do this for a couple of days or in an ongoing,
>>easy way.  openspace is everywhere.  awareness of power and possibility
>>is somewhat more scarce.  <grin>
>>
>>the trick, and the query (i think) are about doing a 90 minute meeting
>>in such a way that people can see more clearly  that it IS possible to
>>have a much longer meeting, much larger meeting, and more open meeting
>>and still be very productive. more productive really, because it means
>>we can take more directly and wholly the really long, large, open
>>questions that we now face in orgs and communities.
>>
>>michaelh
>>

>>Therese Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>
>>>It is fascinating to me that you wonderful OS experts, living deep in the
>>>heart of OS world, do not seem to be aware that a ninty minute open space
>>>like the one Peggy Holman convened at Bowling Green happens constantly.
>>>
>>>People build in 90 minute open spaces into larger events all the time.
>>>People who have no idea that there is such a thing as an open space
>>>practitioner or training to be an open space practitioner hear about the
>>>concept and they start running with it.   The genie of OS is out of the
>>>bottle and it has scattered around the world as a kind of phosphorescent
>>>pollen, taking root in all kinds of places that an OS expert practitioner
>>>might never imagine.  If I understand OS, OS was here all along, right?
>>>
>>>I saw ninety minute OS moments for many years before I encountered OS
>>>days
>>>and OS events.  It was years before I had the slightest awareness that
>>>there
>>>was such a thing as open space training.  There are countless people
>>>in the
>>>world who think they understand OS and use it all the time for ninty
>>>minute
> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.