What would you do?

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sun Feb 29 15:02:06 PST 2004

it's all good, therese.  i was responding primarily to your mentioning
that folks do this without having ever heard of ost.  that's true, but
they often do it with smaller groups and don't see the potential for
it's same use with bigger groups and bigger questions.  it's all os...
i'm not quibbling about a definition, for sure.

if i want to know if somehting is os, i don't look at time, or numbers
or scope of question.  i look for circle, marketplace, bulletin board,
pulsation, passion closely linked to responsibilty, people able and
challendged to do for themselves, importance of question, voluntary
self-selection, availability of information and results, these sorts of
things.  once upon a time i led a senior team retreat through a fairly
structured series of working sessions.  they generated all kinds of
paper and i went back to the office space and posted it all over the
main conference room (legally).  we did a decidely not very open (chief
plus twelve direct reports) meeting... but then we did bulletin board
and the place buzzed a bit.  people took in the new info.  yum.  but was
it or wasn't it???? ...doesn't matter to me... was what we could do....
AND I knew where i was going with it.  they next year they did 70 in a
decidedly more open meeting.

i think the original question was about how to do ost in a large group
(180 i think) in a way that shows them that this could be a viable way
to operate in everyday organization.  mostly it's impossible, i think.
and yet some will see it and make all the connections and understand it
immediately.  mostly, i thnk, when people see something done for a group
of 18 they will think it's a trick for groups of 18 and not see that it
also works with 180 and 1800.  it takes some story-ing, or a second,
third, fourth experience to stretch their view of the possible.

anyway, it's all os to me (if i find some fo the stuff mentioned earlier
and an awareness of what more could be).  and ost to me... is all about
invitation.  interactive and conscious say important things, but to me,
it all comes down to doing and being inviting.  i thnk  those leaders
who practice doing os invitations will learn to be more inviting.  i
thnk those who already 'be' inviting are generally relieved to find out
that their is a way to 'do' that is wholly consistent with who they
already are.  mostly, i thnk that the alignment of the doing and being
IS the integrity and spirit that we appreciate about working in os.

so the easy, ongoing bit is about opening a space, making a market,
where invitations can continually be posted and noted and meetings can
happen and results be posted.  the UK story in Tales from OS gives some
great rules for ongoing os, but mostly i say anyone can post an
invitation, as long as they also come back and post the notes.  passion
and responsibility.  writ everyday.

my four adn a half cents.

thanks, michaelh