What would you do?

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Fri Feb 27 06:23:01 PST 2004

Dear Christine,

I wonder whether you could create time.

If they've taken one bold move, they may be able to take some that are

far less bold, such as:

- skipping a break;

- inviting speakers to speak and end with strong questions/statements,

but not to take any discussion or questions in the plenary -

  in the (longer) Open Space everyone can then post the issues they have

been inspired to.

- positioning it at the start of the program rather than at the end (not

very nice to the presenters, but then .....)

- and so on...............

As a final option, I have found that when I felt there was too little

space to really open, I have told them I was sorry they did not have

enough time available for an Open Space - maybe next time !!

Over time, this has generally resulted in three kind of results:

- a considerable percentage of clients was suddenly able to allot time

differently in view of the fact they could not have the Open Space

  they wanted;

- some return next year, with more time on their hands;

- some are open to look at another option for an interactive process.

And if they're happy with how that went, they're generally interested

  to go further next time around.

Hope thisn is useful,

Greetings from Denmark,

Gerard Muller

Open Space institute Denmark

More often than not, clients who use open space the first time start of

thinking they have very little time.