Instruments for teamwork

Esther . EwingChange at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 07:32:23 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/18/2004 8:34:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
masheikh at cogeco.ca writes:

Esther, if you say a  little more about the context in which you are asking
the question, I (and  others) might be in a better position to  comment.
Well, I have been trained in the use of Kolbe and it has a very  strong
application for teams and how they work together through projects and  tasks. It
tests for the "doing" rather than the 'thinking" (IQ, skills etc) or  the
"feeling" (personality, preferences, values etc.). And building teams that  make
sense from the doing point of view is helpful.
Kolbe is also set up to be appreciative in its frame - if you  resist in fact
finding, there are strengths associated with that such as not  needing as
much information before making decisions as well as cutting to the  bottom line.
On the other hand those who initiate in fact finding need  to analyze,
prioritize and research before making decisions. Both are useful in  a team.
Belbin seems to be a combination of the doing and the feeling (the  conative
and the affective). Belbin also talks about weaknesses as well as  strengths.
I have been trying to eliminate the "w" word from my vocabulary!
I have been certified in the use of Kolbe and find it a very useful  addition
to my arsenal of tools (I do a lot of work with 360) and am  increasingly
using it with my clients.
I haven't used Belbin. But I was really hoping that I could find  someone who
had used both tools to help me understand the pros and cons of the  two.
Regards
Esther
I have a colleague who

Esther Ewing
The Change Alliance -  Assisting Individuals and Organizations to Build
Capability
_www.ChangeAlliance.com_ (http://www.changealliance.com/)
330 East  38th St, Suite 53K
New York, NY 10016-9804
212-661-6024

Authorized  Distributor, Panoramic Feedback
_www.panoramicfeedback.com_ (http://www.panoramicfeedback.com/)