subtle realms

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 12:42:54 PST 2004

When people start talking like this -- in or outside of the Open Space
community-- it can seem pretty weird. But weird or not, I believe you
are dealing with the heart and soul of facilitation, whether in Open
Space or somewhere else. So much of facilitation has been about the "bag
of tools/toys/tricks" that can be trotted out for every occasion. And it
would seem, at least in some circles, that whoever has the most toys
wins. I think what we all have been learning is that the practice is
much more about being than doing -- and the high art appears when the
being shows up as effortless and almost invisible. Putting oneself in
the mode of effortless, invisible being is a matter of intention and
practice, but getting started down the road, or helping someone else to
start down the road is no small feat. It seems that every word we say
runs the risk of taking us in precisely the wrong direction, if only
because it is a word and we say it. I believe what you are doing
(describing) here is a critical next step in our collective journey --
weird or not. Good show, and I hope your offering here will inspire a
lot of good thinking and conversation. You certainly got my attention.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: