Arts Council Open Space

Lisa lisaheft at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 12 11:06:35 PST 2004

Peter -

My short suggestion: do it!  (which I know you will)

Open Space is perfect for planning and strategy sessions.

And though they may appreciate and use Open Space for this specific
retreat, it may also be interesting for them to consider its use in
other ways that can support their work.  Open Space is also perfect for
mapping out the landscape of arts, audiences and changing economics in a
community; such as for a separate day-or-two-long event.  I facilitated
a two-day interactive "New Strategies for Audience Development"
conference for Walter and Elise Haas Jr. Fund who had an with open
invitation to arts, economist and civic organizations in the area (from
the huge San Francisco Opera to tiny on-line literary magazine
entrepreneurs).  They used it for Day 2 (Day 1 being  presentations and
panelists on the state of the arts and economy in their region, though
this also was done in a very audience-centered, participatory manner).

Topics generated by participants in the Open Space included:

-          Subscriber / Membership Strategies
-          Marketing Across Different Regions and Velues
-          How to Deepen Audiences
-          How Do You Create Crossover Audiences
-          What Do Funders Need to Hear?
-          How DO We Give the Audience What They Want and Still
Challenge Ourselves?
-          Building Programs to Increase Intercultural, Interracial
Audiences
-          Board Development
-          Critics
-          Big and Small Organizations Working Together - Us versus Them
-          Long Term Initiative for the Arts
-          How to Generate Younger Audiences
-          Sustaining Artists' Residencies in Non-arts Environments
-          Papering Bank: Filling Those Empty Seats
-          Raising (Creating) the Organization's Visibility
-          Building Partnerships with Community Organizations
-          Arts as a Power Base
-          How Do You Keep Fear and Censorship Out of Your Artistic
Programming?
-          Competing with Mass Culture

.and more.

If they want, I would be happy to connect Mr. Atwood to my client at
Haas if he has any questions about Open Space's use in this context.

Take care,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator