open register of sectors where organisations have lost their purpose

Chris Macrae Wcbn009 at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 18:07:21 PST 2004

I was struck by the line in Harrison's "Practice of Peace" book which went
roughly : many if not most organisations seem no longer able to do what they
were designed to do.

If you come across a sector where one or more corporations appear to have
lost their deepest human purpose, I would love to hear of it and add it to the
register. I am asking various communities to keep a lookout, including this
space sponsored by the EU!
http://www.knowledgeboard.com/community/zones/sig/kmei.html

Extract from the register:
1 TRANSPORT
Broadly speaking transport sectors have 3 biggest goals: cost, schedules,
safety. The trouble is these goals have tensions with each other. Moreover, lots
of financial and transactional measures have been spreadsheeted into the
system to manage the first two but safety will get less attention unless its
positively led because its to do with human relationship connectivity not separate
parts or transactional performances. The NASA inquest into Challenger showed
that safety had been decimated over quarterly periods with up to a hundred human
disconnections that had compounded over quarters like a cancer and were a
consequence of managing only by numbers.

cheers
chris macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk