Properties of circles

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun Feb 15 11:49:43 PST 2004

I am just dipping into the conversation afer about a month away, am just
entering into "silence" and may not be able to read more for a bit....

While things have moved on from circles, your comments prompted so much in
me...so here it is, coming around again...

from foggy Seattle,
Peggy

*  Doris' nursery school image reminded me of a conversation on another
extreme -- a retired military officer.  He told me that he had been in a
special forces unit and that they trained in circles.  Ever since then, he'd
put teams he worked with in circles when they had something critical to
accomplish.

*  Chris' original post reminded me of a message I sent to a client on
approaches to transformational change.  I've copied that below.

*  Artur's comments on OST's foundations and the principles reminded me of
something I've come to believe: the law of two feet is fundamentally to take
responsibility (one foot) for what you care about (the other foot).  When
this law is the foundation, the principles emerge.  In other words, the
principles are the RESULT of the law.  I do find the principles useful to
name because they are more easily embraced when explicitly made visible.

*  On ellipses and Therese's question about OS organizations and structure,
how about the shape of an egg?  Seems to me this is a 3-dimensional ellipse.
I am reading about Jewish mourning practices right now because my mother is
dying.  This was something I read:

"At the first meal after the funeral, mourners eat a hard-boiled egg and
something round to indicate that life is like a circle and the mourners have
no words to describe their loss."

It is also on the Passover seder plate:
"It is round, picturing eternity, and a core of life, signifying new birth.
It thus pictures the endless cycle of renewing life."

As we know, the egg is more ellipse than round, but there you go...

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006