stephen covey, open space and blogging

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Fri Feb 6 11:39:32 PST 2004

this in my weblog today http://www.globalchicago.net/weblog ...in case
anybody's interested... been more active recently making more connectins
there these days with things that sound like open space.

also, someone emailed me recently suggesting we get all the os bloggers
linked together in one page of the website.  if you're blogging
ost-related stuff and would want to be included in such a thing, please
let me know.

michael

---

quoted from George Nemeth's blog called SmartMeetingDesign...

    ...[in a recent interview] Stephen Covey (age 71, author of the 7
    Habits, currently willing to come speak for you at $65.00 per
    appearance) ...declared management of people superfluous. One
    manages money, stocks, portfolios, and the like, not people. Give
    people purpose and a course, and then stop interfering with them.

    The interview ended with this quote: "In most organisations there is
    a lack of trust, and most employees are powerless. In this era of
    knowledge-workers we still use the industrial model of control, in
    which we treat people like objects. It is as if we are still
    practising bloodletting, although we know all about bacteria and how
    they work."

    When I asked the pizza-guy for pen and paper to write this quote
    down, he smiled at me and said ain't that a good interview or what?.

Makes me think about all of the folks who've studied Covey's books,
taken the courses, and heard his speeches and wonder what the world will
be like when they really dig into this new message. And will the next
generation of management super gurus start where Covey leaves off? Now
that's what I call inviting
<http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?InvitingOrganizationEmerges>.

--

Michael Herman