World Youth Movements

Chris Macrae Wcbn009 at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 08:02:48 PST 2004

Just one small part of the jigsaw puzzle of where are the world's youth
congregating for humanity?. One of my missions is to map where all the big human
networks are congregating locally and globally: youth, women, those families
afflicted by the same chronic disease etc, those at the centre of
peace-reconiliations

I am only making a slow start in Youth. I think I know gold contacts in
Australia and New Zealand; Silver in London. I have also started subscibing
wherever google comes up with Youth networks- eg yesterday this detail below came in

what would help me is if you find a national contact of any open youth
movement, tell me. I dont mind if I have their name or yours as one degree of
separation as long as its a reminding link in our catalogue. The public version of
our catalogue is cryptic because I'm even futher behind checking how those
involved want it laid out but you can see the sort of space that I plan to emerge
it in here:http://www.valuetrue.com/home/community.cfm?startrow=13&
intClassID=3

Of course if someone has a more advanced process, I dont want to reinvent the
wheel I just want to keep the youth directories open, local and worldiwde
verifiable; and then start ticking them off by which issues they most deeply want
to roots-lead
chris macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk, www.valuetrue.com, Bethesda & London
http://www.worldbank.org/wbi/corpgov/csr/econferences/shanghai2004/index.html

The Poverty Challenge in a New Millennium—Defining Roles for Youth and the
Next Generation of LeadersFebruary 9–27, 2004
Organized by the World Bank Institute and partners

The World Bank Institute and its partners are pleased to announce a global
e-conference on the broad theme of strategies for successful poverty reduction
involving the ideas and energy of young people.BackgroundThe online discussion
is open to all young people around the world and is part of a broad program
designed to share young people’s viewpoints at a major World Bank conference on
poverty reduction to be held in Shanghai, May 23–25, 2004. The global learning
process will allow key development actors to share their experiences and
policy lessons from poverty reduction initiatives around the world. This
e-conference will continue the dialogue launched during the global e-conference on CSR
for Future Leaders in April 2002.

Kerry Wrote:  Could you please get a breakdown of the regional events and
various contact people at the World Youth Peace Summit and post on the OSLIST?
Maybe, members of the OSLIST could volunteer on a pro bono basis as
facilitators?   Sounds like one for the "Open Space Peace Corps!"

 Harrison wrote:

Kerry that is a great suggestion, but a little time may be needed before
taking advantage of it. Truth of the matter is that I am not totally clear on how
much Open Space they want, and where they want it. So we are pretty much at
Step I of the client consultation process. I have asked several old colleagues
and friends (Karen Davis, Ralph Copleman, and Michael Pannwitz) who happen to
be in or accessible to the proposed sites to work with me on figuring out
exactly what the “Summit Folks” might want, and how we might best serve them.
Given the strength and dedication of this OS community, I had no question that
once we knew where we were going and what was required there would be helping
hands in abundance. I have to say that I have been a little overwhelmed by the
response to my query, but not surprised. I also have to confess to a warm sense
of pride (nasty thing J) in the fact that we (all of us) have basically
fielded a global team on a 24 hour turn around. A very useful lesson/accomplishment,
but I think we may have left the client a little breathless. So we need a
moment for them to catch their breath – all the while knowing that given a clear
direction (specifics and details) the resources are there to do what ever may
be required. Pretty impressive, I would say. There are precious few major
consulting companies that could do this – and “we” aren’t even a company! So
hang in there, and we will see what happens, remembering of course that whatever
it might be – that’s the only thing that could have. Or something.

Harrison