chicago report

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Tue Feb 3 00:57:05 PST 2004

  hi all, a nice story's been taking shape here in chicago, as briefed
below from my weblog.  if your email program doesn't show the links, you
can visit the weblog directly at http://www.globalchicago.net/weblog for
the link-full version.  did a bunch of sprucing of the invitations and
invitation-writing page after jo's recent inquiry, as well.  there's a
note in the weblog about that too, with a link.  best for now, michaelh

Latino Coalition Emerging in Open Space

Last week we ran an in-house sort of
OpenSpaceTech/TrainingPracticeWorkshop
<http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceTech/TrainingPracticeWorkshopsUpcoming>
for the Latino Coalition for Prevention to follow-up on the Latino
Prevention Summit in Open Space last December. About half of the 100+
Summit participants returned for a seamless blending of continued work
on the most important issues and projects raised in the Summit AND an
advanced OpenSpaceTech
<http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceTech> learning
program that invited and supported participants to plan and facilitate
their own Open Space meetings and events going forward. WorkshopNotes
<http://www.globalchicago.net/prevention/prwiki.cgi?LatinoSummitFollowup>

One highlight was seeing this organization literally working in two
major directions at once -- with a high level of unconscious ease.
Several new topics were raised (continued divergence) while
simultaneously other discussions sought to sweep together as many as
five issues from last month's Summit into one new project (convergence).
No imposed agendas, no demands for concensus, no assumptions that many
projects and directions could not all get moving at once, as long as
some people cared and committed to pursue them. Very exciting, and
business as usual, in Open Space.

Another highlight was the usual flood of learning comments like: "I'm a
trainer, do a lot of trainings and facilitations... and this (workshop)
is totally shifting everything I do." And: "...so it seems like the only
way to sustain the high level of spirit and action (from the Summit and
Workshop) is to keep having all of our meetings in Open Space... even
and especially our quarterly Coalition update sessions." Exactly! And to
run them for yourselves. OpenSpaceTech... it's not just for breakfast
anymore!

Since the Summit last month, the Latino Prevention Network has been
actively restructuring itself to run in a kind of ongoing Open Space.
They've reconstituted themselves as the Latino Coalition for Prevention,
reflecting their growing sense of coming together and taking action.
GlobalChicago is supporting their movement with a new wiki
<http://www.globalchicago.net/prevention> website in the
GlobalChicagoGarden
<http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?GlobalChicagoGarden>.

--