dancing in space

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Wed Feb 4 16:03:25 PST 2004

Hello all – wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

A two-day open space technology training with 22 participants – mostly
corporate facilitators.  I offered the training through the Shambhala
Institute for Authentic Leadership.  The learning journey on OST was
different from any I’ve given before – participants were invited, over the
two days to become aware of space, dance in the space, and build a
relationship to space and Open Space Technology.  A conscious decision on my
part to present the form and have the participants determine the agenda for
what they would learn.

The space became incredibly energized, as we all know that it can!  It was a
gift to have experienced facilitators in the room who recognized much of
what was happening in terms of process facilitation.  We played with the
shape of the circle, participants started to notice if they “felt” the space
closing – noticing their own irritation in the openness of the space.
Participants recognized how we are always connected to open space, and ways
we choose to disconnect – consciously and unconsciously – resting and
reflecting in the inseparability of space.  What participants brought to
this experience graced the space.  We played with the intelligence of the
balance of magnetic and dynamic – space, nurturing, accommodating, the
feminine principle – magnetic; action, dynamic energy expressing itself with
determination, focus and will – the masculine principle – inseparable in
each being.

And, all of this was done in the context of corporate facilitators who, in
building a relationship with the form of Open Space Technology, also began
to play with how they could use OST in their workplaces and with their
clients.  A joining of heaven and earth.
We played with savoring more and fixing less!  Five participants left with
OST’s already planned.

Yours in the glow,
Judi

Judith Richardson, M.A.