An easy decision after all

Peggy S. Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Wed Aug 25 22:06:30 PDT 2004

Phil,

Sorry I didn't read your message in time to offer another idea for the mix
you had to work with.  Something I frequently do with one day OS's is ask
the people who take responsibility for session notes to e-mail them to me or
whomever is esponsible for the report.  This makes for pretty high quality
notes since they have time to create their report when they aren't thinking
about rushing to another session.

The logistics that seem to make this work is setting at most a  48-hour
turnaround time for the notes, making sure they have the e-mail address
where the notes need to go...and when people arrive for the reflection
circle at the end of the day, I pass a sheet of paper with 3 columns --
topic name, convenor, e-mail address. This important sheet lets me or
whomever puts the report together know how many reports to expect.  They can
send a reminder if the report hasn't arrived in 48 hours.  In a few years of
doing this, I can only think of twice when someone has committed to sending
notes and not done so.

In short, it seems to work well and produce great notes.

from Seattle, where the rains have finally arrived,
Peggy

P.S.  I NEVER type notes for people.  I see this as such an important aspect
of people taking responsibility.  Compiling the notes into a report (whether
digital photos of flip charts, computers in the room, or e-mai).  As a
product of the collective, this makes sense to me.  The individual reports,
though, that strikes me as the realm of the people in the sessions.