One day in OS without notes??

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Tue Aug 24 01:57:21 PDT 2004

Dear Phil,
whether or not proceedings are recorded is a question I always
discuss with the planning group.
And they always want a book of proceedings.
For the technical part:
In the 114 open space events I have facilitated computers were used
just once, the other 113 used handwritten notes on a form that has
-The Theme of the event at the top
-Space to enter the "issue"
-space to enter "What took place" (most of the A4 page) and right
there a couple of admonitions "Keep it short and simple" and "Write
loud and clear, use a black fineliner"
-space to enter "Convener"
-space to enter "Participants".
Have a look at the form at
http://www.michaelmpannwitz.de/index.php?id=182
You can download it as a word document (follow arrow at the bottom)

Since its handwritten people can also put drawings etc. on the page
in a jiffy, in fact what they usually do is that they pass the
docu-sheet (its supplied on a clip board in each break out room)
around for every one to sign their name to it and at the end of the
session usually one to three people can be seen filling in the form
taking less than 6 minutes...

The form is taken to the newsroom where we immediately enlarge it to
A3 and post it. And then we start copying the A4 sheets right away
and begin the collating part and start on the table of contents and
do the final version of the list of participants. We always manage to
get the book of proceedings ready regardless of the length of the
event...even a 4 hours event has the book ready to take home after
closing circle.

The one event where computers were used a lot of time was spent on
not only getting the reports into the computer but also working on
the appearance...I saw people spend an hour or more...
What I hear from sponsors and participants is that the list of
participants (with correct data, checked at the event by everyone
before the final version is produced) in conjunction with the names
of the people that worked in the break out sessions is the real
benefit of the book of proceedings: being able to get in touch with
each other around issues after the event.

So, how many more hours left until your event?
Love to hear what you eventually did!
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

--Original Message Text---