One day in OS without notes??

Koos de Heer koos at auryn.nl
Mon Aug 23 22:29:50 PDT 2004

Hi Phil,

I have done different kinds of OS with regard to note-taking: computers,
hand written (free format or on pre designed forms, so they don't forget
important details like who was there etc.), on flip charts, and no notes at
all. One event comes to mind where, in a fairly large group with a computer
set up, most reports were typed into the computer, but some were just hand
written and xeroxed. There was even one group who had made a beautiful flip
chart with drawings and cartoons and diagrams, it was not only very funny
but also contained some very useful insights. Since we did not want that to
go to waste (in fact I personally thought it was the best and most creative
report of them all), I took some pictures of it with my digital camera,
uploaded the pictures into my own laptop and chose the best one to be
printed with the proceedings.

This experience taught me that, despite all the help I tried to offer with
my room full of rented computers, the pre designed forms, all the
organizing that went into the facilitating of the report making, the group
found its own way to be creative and communicate what was needed in a very
appropriate way.

I have used the trick of photographing flip charts once again after that
and the fun thing is that it often is even possible to make a Powerpoint
presentation from it, provided the writing is big enough. The nice thing
about flip charts is that it does not cost the participants a lot of time,
since they make the flip charts during the break out session. It is not one
person in a corner taking notes, it is a public thing that takes shape in
the center of the discussion, for the whole break out group to see and to
influence.

Having said all that, I trust that you will do well whatever you decide to
do. When in doubt, I always try to remember that intention and state of
mind (love, trust) are much more important than the physical form of what
we do.

Good luck and have fun

Koos