One day in OS without notes??

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Aug 23 19:11:10 PDT 2004

Hello, Phil - it's me again -

(since you only have - well now it's 30+ hours before your event - I
thought it would be okay for me to check back in...)

You wrote:
<I've always though that it was necessary to have the participants do
the data entry. They retain ownership of the document, and they go
through mental processes while transcribing, processes that refine the
original text, based on comments spoken at the time but not copied down.
The transcriber can do a round of edits, as it were; something I can't
do. Perhaps, presuming I transcribe faithfully, without my own editorial
bias, the group is better off trading the data entry for more time in
discussions?>

I agree with you - I also feel that it is best for the responsibility
for note-taking to be in the hands of the participants, and for note
transcribing.  But I have in short Open Spaces in some few instances
told the group I would transcribe their notes for them (I have done this
in workshop situations where I'm giving participants a shorter Open
Space experience, for example).  In this case I make it very clear that
I may not be able to read their handwriting but will do the best I can -
and I make sure that the notes-taker forms include a line to write *who*
the notes-taker is (in case I need to contact them to for example send
them a fax of their notes and ask them what a certain word is).

I would never do this if the situation may include conflict or mistrust
if the issue is that people don't take ownership for their ideas - in
those cases I would most certainly have a longer Open Space which
ensures they have time for their own transcribing...

2 more cents (hi, Jeffry dear!)

Lisa

________________________________

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: