nametags?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 12:57:17 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/5/04 7:00:09 PM, clee-engel at bastyr.edu writes:

>  A part of that experience which was very striking to me was how many
> people who didn't know each other (yet) looked each other in the eyes & greeted
> each other by name right from the first evening, even when, for example, just
> crossing paths in the hallways, and how people referenced one another by name
> when responding to comments during the sessions.

Phil, Christy, and all

I've had similar experiences, both at the Practice of Peace conference and at
many Creative Problem Solving Institutes.   For CPSI, the nametags were
always large, and written and decorated by the participants.   Most people wore
them the whole week, and eventually they were in pockets that hung around the
neck, a handy place to stash room keys and meal cards.   I loved the experience
of being called by name when I passed someone.   And after many years of
teaching, it was very helpful to see a name tag on someone who was formerly in my
group--I might recognize the face but not always remember the name.

For Open Space conferences with clients, I am most often working with a group
of less than a hundred, from the same organization.   Generally they know
each other, and there is no need for nametags.   If the meeting brings together
individuals or groups that do not know each other, nametags is one item to
discuss with the planning team.   They make the decision, I don't.   I just
advocate for first names, no job titles, and large writing.   I also recommend
casual clothes, so there is no visible separation between those who normally wear
business clothes to work and those whose jobs require them to dress more
casually.

I worked once at a conference for a large Mexican corporation.   In our
pre-conference planning with the Mexican training department, I asked if they
typically had people introduce themselves to the group.   They said that was taken
care of in the reception which preceded the meeting--people would be
introduced to each other individually and informally by members of the training
department, in such a way that each person would know something interesting or
admirable about each other.

Joelle