Pro bono work

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 12:31:44 PDT 2004

Phil--

I've done quite a bit of pro bono work--for organizations I want to support
in some way, or to gain experience with a process that is new to me, or as a
door-opener in a type of system I haven't worked in before.

The benefits for me are experience, new contacts, and the opportunity to
support something I believe is important.   Someone who participated in an event I
facilitated pro bono has often called me later asking for facilitation of an
event for another organization they were part of, for fee.

Here's a quick example:   I sent a small donation check to an organiization I
admired.   Someone called to thank me, and asked if I would be interested in
participating in a brainstorming meeting a few months ahead.   I replied that
I would like to take part, and that my work was meeting design and
facilitation, and I would be happy to meet with them to help plan the meeting, pro bono.
 We met, I listened to their purpose and objectives, told them there were
several ways to approach this.   When I described Open Space, they loved the
idea.   They convened a group which was smaller than they expected, but almost
everyone in the room had come wishing to help in some way.   They were able to
begin some new and much-needed programs, supported by new volunteers from the
community.   I continue to keep in touch with the director, and she is one of my
favorite people to use as a reference.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, WA USA