nametags?

Julie Stuart juliesstuart at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 03:34:54 PDT 2004

Phil,

I'm curious as to how you persuade the people you're working with that name
tags aren't a good idea.  We try this every time we facilitate an event,
usually either open space or future search so people have plenty of
opportunity to get to know each other if they don't already.  We explain why
we don't think participants need badges with their name and job title and
organisation and possibly qualifications written in very small font so that
everyone spends most of the first day (or first session at least) staring at
each others' chests in an unnerving manner.  We emphasise that if they MUST
have name tags, they don't need all that detail and that it's the first name
that's important, and that it really should be readable from a short
distance away.  We refer back to our experience, to the principles of
participation, explaining all of our careful reasoning behind our request.
And they look back at us and agree, and yet, invariably the day arrives, and
some poor person in admin has spent lots of time making the badges and now
they're there it would be a shame not to use them - on some occasions they
just give them out behind our back.

I guess this might just be a matter of taking a combination of the
approaches that I use with my 2-year old son.  I started by being very
reasoned and explaining things (after all, he's an intelligent child and I
try to be as liberal as I can), but the only thing that stopped his
fascination with nettles was grabbing one and hurting his hand - now he
knows that they really are prickly.  Perhaps you have to put your foot down
very occasionally for the benefit of everyone - after all you know best(?!)
Or you can demonstrate the advantages of a particular way and let them learn
themselves that it's better without badges.  Or perhaps you have to just
accept that it's not life-threatening to the process and let them get on
with it.  After all, in my experiecne most name tags fall off and get lost
very early on in the process anyway.

As for recording names in groups, we've done open spaces with between 50 and
100 participants, and they never seem to have a problem getting their names
onto the recording sheet.  In fact there always seems to be someone in the
group who takes charge and asks who's there and makes sure that it's
recorded.  But then no matter what we do we assume that people will
self-manage in all of their group work, and they usually seem to be able to
rise to the challenge.  Once they get into the swing of things they'll
realise that it's up to them to get things (like attendance at groups)
recorded, and that if they think they've been left out they can shout out
again until it's all on the sheet.  Unless of course, they want to take
responsibility for sitting in a group but not for having anyone else know
they were there - in that case there's not much you can do about it anyway
as the facilitator.

Julie