Mergers and acquisitions?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 22:19:02 PDT 2004

Phil--

I have not used OS for acquisitions, but I have been working for the past
year with a nonprofit organization that is building a beautiful building in a new
location, and moving the staff from two offices which have always been
separate.   Each has its own unique culture, even though they are members of the
same organization.

A month after the groundbreaking for the new building, we opened space for
all staff from both offices, with a theme of "Issues and Opportunities relating
to our Coming Move."   People were very open and honest in discussing every
aspect of the transition.  Sessions posted ranged from how to allocate storage
space to "Change and Grief." One group shared the values that brought them into
this work in the first place, another generated ideas for staying sane and
productive through a year of extra work and disruption.

The top management team, who had been living with and working toward the
vision of a new center over a period of several years, were surprised to hear that
some staff members had serious fears and reservations about the move.   Staff
members were surprised that top management was fully present, listening and
genuinely interested in their concerns.   The executive director moved from
group to group with blueprints, helping everyone visualize how their new
workspace would be laid out.

There was a buzz of energy in the room from the moment people headed to their
first sessions, and by midafternoon participants were both excited and
thoughtful--lots of smiling faces, lots of listening to each other.

I met twice with the Transition Team in the first month, once in a talking
circle to capture our memories and impressions of the Open Space day, and once
to plan how to carry ideas forward and address concerns.   Many of the work
groups were re-convened to continue working on their topics.   Because both
groups had been in small and crowded offices, the storage spaces in the new
building were a subject of intense interest.   The Storage Group has done a masterful
job of figuring out what should be stored where, and how to allocate the
storage to departments. A Personal Space Group has struggled with issues relating
to the change from closed offices to cubicles in large open offices. A new
group was convened this week to talk about professional dress in the new
facility, because staff will be more visible in this new space with more access by
volunteers, clients and the general public.

The Transition Team decided that where the job description of an individual
or work group was changing, they would have the new work group meet to work out
new procedures and decide who would do what. People's regular job
responsibilities were covered while they met with their new team.

I've continued to meet with the Transition Team at intervals throughout the
year, in intense work sessions that included discussions on morale and keeping
the space open, as well as project management.   Because passion and
responsibility have guided the allocation of tasks, there have been virtually no
problems with agreed-on tasks left undone.   Moving Day will be here soon--on the
schedule predicted one year ago--and the staff is on board.   Objects with an
important role in their history have been moved to the new site with great
ceremony from each of the old offices.

In answer to your question, Phil, it's my experience that Open Space is a
great way to get the real issues out in the open.   It was great fun to watch
individuals from both offices come together to wrestle with topics they had
passion for.   I don't know a more effective method for discovering and resolving
the real issues in a complex change like the one you describe.

Best of luck,

Joelle