What is the Question?

Christine Whitney Sanchez milagro27 at cox.net
Tue Apr 13 09:59:41 PDT 2004

Harrison, Brendan and All,

Yes, I find the convening question to be the centerpiece of discussions with
my clients.  In very natural ways, questions such as what are we really
hoping to accomplish here, sponsor commitment to supporting the outcomes,
pre-existing boundaries/givens, communication before, during and after the
event, and any ambivalence or fears arise while we are talking about the
question.  I don't go down a checklist, rather I listen for anything that
needs more clarification or depth.

Several of the OST events I have facilitated have been for community
gatherings where there is not an ongoing intact group/system that will
necessarily continue working together after the event but the hope is that
self-organized action groups will form.  The convening question for these
groups is especially challenging because their shared context is often the
lowest common denominator type (leaders from within the same industry,
people focused on providing different services to the same population, etc).
There is always a theme for the event (capacity building, creating a
community-wide strategy) but it is not necessarily what the OST convening
question will end up being.  In my experience, this is not so much a result
of people denying or skirting the real issues but rather a genuine confusion
about what the common compelling themes are.  In a paradoxical way, the more
difficult it is to craft a really good question, the more opportunity there
is for genuine discussion with the sponsors about what the real deal is
which helps us sort out what truly needs to be clarified ahead of time and
what just why opening space is a good idea (or not).

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez
Triune Milagro, LTD
2717 E. Mountain Sky Avenue
Phoenix, AZ  85048-8990
milagro27 at cox.net
480.759.0262  phone
480.759.0403  fax
VISIT OUR WEBSITE:  www.triunemilagro.com <http://www.triunemilagro.com>

Invoking the wisdom and capacity of the human spirit!