Hierarchies, decision making and a real-life example

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 07:56:37 PDT 2004

Chris Corrigan wrote:
Is there anything we can't measure?

There are lots of things I don't want ever to try to measure; I was
brought up as I guess any reasoning mathematician should be:  there are
liars, damn liars and statisticians (a state I post-graduated in for my
sins)

To preserve my sanity , my translation of these bon mots is: "don't ever
apply maths to human systems unless you care deeply about the models and
their openness"

 (by this test most accountants and management consultants wherever they
use their additive measurements today appear such poor mathematicians
they shouldn't be influencing companies' leaders -just take out an
annual company report (if you ever pass such an obscenity) look at those
pages at the back that pretend they are adding up performance to the
decimal point, and shred the thing because a mathematical model of what
thousands of people produced with no multiplication in it is utterly
meaningless in telling you what will happen next to that organisational
system, whereas because we live in a service/knowledge era much of what
will happen is already destined by the relationships of goodwill or
badwill already invested in that system's connectivity-

PERHAPS MOST OF ALL today I wish we could change what people mean by
measurement

To illustrate the second point, have you ever considered how wonderful
maps are

They connect what you want to do with other people so simply that
everyone can use them

YET a map's practical use depends wholly on good measurement

It is my contention that in a world where there are those that insist
organisations must have measurements we give them maps, and then
demonstrate those maps are very nearly the best an organisation will get
to measuring, and wholly systemically different from the ruinous
performance measurements in use currently

In this sense a map is :
Both a conversation and visualisation of connectivity

Of relationships needed so that productivity and demand relationships
win-win around a context an organisation is suppose to revolve round as
a human system

There is no point of a map unless its so simple to open that anyone of
any discipline can walk on the map and participate with confidence

And if we put the appropriate value coordinates on the map , people will
enjoy learning and accomplish great work , respect each other and flow
trust , and in fact serve all stakeholders in ways that compound
goodwill both for the organisation and across networks of collaborating
organisations, societies etc

So just like I have no fear of a map which tells me how to get to
Potomac as quickly as possible when I need more spirit, there should be
no reason to fear maps of organisations if we calibrated these as
trustworthy human relationship infrastructures, and do so simply and
openly

If that is the task then the good news is maths can provide a standard
to deliver that...so why not open source it....as we open space?

Does this sort of answer your question?
Chris Macrae
www.valuetrue.com