Hierarchies, decision making and a real-life example

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Sun Apr 4 05:32:30 PDT 2004

Well nature says that as we all get more connected (and the technology
of the net is I imagine unstoppable) then open boundary knowledge is
vital

Open Boundaries are how you cooperate as well as keep your own
contextual/identifying gravity (which some would call your competitive
focus) - you can watch several cells in a culture which starts off as
rich enough (having enough space for all of them) then as they grow what
happens- those with least open boundary policy (literally most
short-term greed in the cell culture movie I saw) get decimated

Unfortunately when you mix relationship non-transparency (as global
accountants did in valuing everything by quarters) with hierarchy down
from the top of an organisation is a perfect recipe for confusing open
boundary policy. You just need a wholly different model of relationships
between people if hierarchy and open boundaries are to value multiply
each other. It's as simple to map as the difference between
multiplication and add - ironically, ten year olds are much better at it
than the current 50-somethings driving this globe.

Then we have history's mischievous inheritance. Wherever countries have
geographically contiguous boundaries - the reason for setting up those
national identities was one of opposition, conflict lurks in that old
geographical world we live with

Will we get beyond this in time? I don't know; I didn't know in 1984
when I first wrote about networks. If I understand Harrison's
PracticeofPeace book correctly then it says get the people together who
may current be most conflicted by hierarchy and network boundaries; give
them space to relate to each other as people; take hope, love and faith
that when the real event is over they will go away remembering how to
network with each other not the commands of the hierarchies or the
boundaries they return to

So we who know a bit about open space or networks have big work afoot
(or whatever Sherlock Holmes used to say)

Meanwhile my own biggest learning last week was I must get much more
open much more quickly in finding 100 networks whose open collaboration
& boundary multiplying maturity could change humanity; unless we find a
way that open space alumni can cooperate with net 2 and net 3 and net 4
...net 100
(I think we'll have lost the open world by 2010 and the compounding of
system of systems means it wont be possible to resolve it open world
back)

Who net 2,3,4 are is of course up to all of our identities to talk about
in all the 80 countries this open list connects.

I know I trust the people at the centre of
www.simpol.org simplest simultaneous policy for changing all national
politicians at same time
http://www.globalreconciliationnetwork.org widest ethical network of
networks led by professor of medicine (not very good at web names!)led
out of southern hemisphere
www.eginitiative.org the only former country president that I can think
of who is walking humanitarian moves at every step; one who also knows-
and can joke about - every mistake the Brits made the last time an
industrial revolution was being superpowered

www.udoo.org and many affiliate cultural creative youth across London
who are very hi-tech as well as very open space ....

but then why I can cross the boundaries and multiply across these 5
networks and feel I am talking with the same kinds of people may be
foreign to you - SUGGESTION: let's dare find out. I am delighted to be
told there are greater open networks out there (and indeed among people
who are currently horribly disconnected from the 'developed' world I am
sure there are -how do we link up human passions for being open?)

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
www.valuetrue.com open survey hi-trust nets row 2 col 1