Hierarchies, decision making and a real-life example

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sat Apr 3 18:04:05 PST 2004

Ashley Cooper wrote:
d and fluid.

> boundaries are especially effective if they are always invited to dissolve
> when they have outlived their usefulness.
>
> This is kind of a natural accountability, the
>
>>accountability of consent.  Very powerful stuff.  I think we see it
>>happen in Open Space a lot, at least I do.
>

> do you see the same thing happen with boundaries in Open Space? it seems
> like there is some accountability to permeability. one must consent to
> having their boundaries redefined. my limited experience in open space
> seems to point to boundaries being redefined.

I do see that this happens in Open Space, and that's what prompted me to
notice it in a wider way.  When people try to tell me that Open Space is
unstructured, I like to tell them a line I read on this list once:  Open
Space is not unstructured, it is elegantly structured and structures
evolve and dissolve for exactly as long as they are needed.

I think that sometimes hierarchies evolve in OST meetings, in fact I saw
it today in a meeting I was running with some Aboriginal youth.  Strong
leadership from some youth which resulted in a consensual hierarchy
being established, for a particular piece of work.  The real challenge
for leaders is whether or not they can let go of that role when the time
is right to do so.  Watching these youth learn and grow as emerging
leaders is really pointing that out for me.  When they let go, marvelous
things happen.  Holding on to a role past its expiry date is what
creates that grasping ans suffocating energy that I associate all too
often with hierarchy.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN