SV: Hierarchies, decision making and a real-life example

Eva P Svensson eva at epshumaninvest.se
Fri Apr 2 03:16:26 PST 2004

Hello all of you wonderful people out there – and thank you for this list
and all of your contributions!!!

Peggy - So many wise words and thoughts and an analyses of what is going on
I think. And I come to think of an group model to which I’m sure you’re all
familiar with – Will Schutz FIRO model (fundamental interpersonal
relationship orientation) – and I must test my thoughts with all of you out
there.  (And since “I’m not that old” at the list and I may be way out and
this is not what is happening – or has happened before – here comes my to
cents – or två öre on Swedish)

It seems to me that we can compare in a way what is happening on the list
with a sort of a group forming process à la FIRO where we are going from the
first rather safe space where we are “talking nice” to each other and
exchanging thoughts, ideas, questions and a lot of learning, the phase when
we are asking ourselves if we want to be in this group. From this phase to
the second real step in his model, the part where the participants are
questioning each other and as you said Peggy talking about hierarchies, who
should be in charge and why, - where conflicts are higher and occurs more
often then in the first phase?
I’m definitely not an expert on FIRO and against my ideas (?)  must be that
I think that in our conversation on the list we share our thoughts and are
very open about our feelings but maybe not (up till now?) our feelings about
each other?? ( so maybe we have started from the end
?)

I don’t know, but FIRO came into my head when I was reading these entire
postings about givens, and who had done what and why. And in the mean time I
see this as a great learning for what could – and I’m sure most certainly
would - happen in an organisation that wants to evolve to a more open and
conscious open space organisation. Where more people will “be in charge” and
maybe there is less hierarchy and what will happen then? Even if we are
clear about the givens, I am sure that they will change, because things
change faster than we can react sometimes. And maybe what we see right now
on the list will happens in real life and then there will be no immediately
help from outside so they have to solve it themselves – as we have to do-
this is our (my) responsibility and it’s up to (me) us to learn and to move
forward so that our (my) understanding about the process and myself will
deepened and be a good contribution on my personal journey.

I absolutely don’t mean to take away all the feelings that are exchanged
here by “going theoretic” but I felt that I needed to test my thoughts on
you and see if there are any responses.

Love and peace from a sunny but chilly west side of Sweden where spring is
desperately trying to come through!

Bästa hälsningar

Eva P Svensson

EPS Human Invest AB