merger, convergence and action planning

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Apr 29 07:56:13 PDT 2004

I recently worked with a recently Merged organization (1-2 years) of 3
major organizations.  It was the same group that did the five
simultaneous OST events I recently reported.

We worked with the Planning Team to determine the type of convergence
they wanted and needed after the first staff event (for about 350
folks).  They wanted some identification of priorities for the attention
of the Planning Team and Corporate leadership.  The TASC software worked
like a charm for that and lead to some real "deliverables" out of the
event -- project success based on the priorities.  However, the CEO
noticed that the most powerful outcome was the fact that the 3
maintenance departments said in closing that this was the first time
they felt like one organization.  This has not solved the issues they
face, but they have a better sense of facing them together.

At another event in the same organization, the planning committee also
want some corporate priorities, but also some time for the newly created
units to meet and explore how the discussions and ideas from the Open
Space applied to their unit.

I agree with Terry -- it is in interaction with a sponsor and planning
team that discovering appropriate "intentional" convergence happens. I
agree with Harrison that "convergence" happens for individuals and units
all the time in their ongoing conversations.

We recently did two OST events so that everyone in one unit could attend
at least one and then did a joint convergence with Topic leadership and
a planning committee a week later.  One of the more interesting things
was that the conversation at the second event already seemed to have
benefited from the first event.  The first pebble had already created
ripples that affected the second OST -- even if few of the same people
were present.  They still talked to each other in between the events.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada