open marriages with virtual community

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 01:56:31 PDT 2004

One of my test-market campaigns is to sell in Open Space (real
community) to the virtual crowd. Here's today's attempt at one of the
most influential egroups - http://www.egroups.com/group/com-prac

I guess if anyone newly gets any work from these folk they'll send me an
Easter bunny!
Ivan's statement that "It starts at the top" is commonly accepted as a
requirement for successful organizational change.  It's so accepted as
true that we rarely even think about it.

A reply from Chris Macrae, vt:
The way we see is that there are two first parties in any organisation
that is going to emerge as sustainable and co-creational in
knowledge/network age

1) Hierarchy, the top which also goes under other names like strategy
and tangible accounting

2) And the first knowledge (net)working mode. This is different in
different organisational context. It may be CoPs. It is often teams. In
funny industries such as venture capital I have known it to be
personal-social networks. And in government, it is probably some
transparent network across organisations most safety vital knowledge
flow.

SO MY CONTROVERSIAL REMARK:

It doesn't start at the top , it starts at the structural interaction
between the top and the first knowledge (net)working mode. And this
structural interaction is systemised by putting in some wholly new and
context specific (visual) metrics unlike those that the top's
professional advisers have NEVER seen nor trusted before, as well as
tailoring some kind of sharing platform which could be through virtual
technologies

Though I have to say after 10 years of observing experiments as someone
wholly independent of any technology platform : I don't  know how to
implement that with virtual alone, instead I would always introduce
something virtual-communing (even something as simple as
organisation-wide  email) with a one day real communing method involving
everyone (open space being my benchmark intervention though maybe that's
because I have studied how many hundreds of OS cases have helped large
groups of people pass through the eye of big conflict and sustain all
for another day's social networking; it may be there are other real
facilitation methods that dare do that too?)

Chris Macrae

Mapmaker www.valuetrue.com
Wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk       uk mobile (0)793 144 2446