OST vs GE WorkOut?

Phil Culhane pculhane at magma.ca
Wed Apr 7 18:12:13 PDT 2004

Hello world.  ;-)

After roughly a year learning, using, and enjoying Open Space as a
facilitator, I have moved to a new company that appears to have chosen GE
WorkOut as their methodology for changing the world.

Well, I've read the book, attended the WorkOut, and am wondering "what's all
the fuss?" Perhaps its the consulting firm that ran our GE WorkOut session
(their interpretation of the methodology), or perhaps it's the GE WorkOut
methodology itself, but I find that OST has far more positives and fewer
drawbacks than GEW. To be sure, there are a couple of areas in which I
believe GEW could inform and improve OST (particularly in the post-event
phase), but overall I've found GEW somewhat lacking.

What I'm hoping is that someone here might have experience with GEW that
they'd be willing to share with me, and that possibly even some comparative
research has been done between OST and GEW.

Any and all insights, input, feedback and URL's graciously accepted!

Thanks for your reading time.
Phil Culhane