Stakeholder Workshop Dondo District

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Thu Sep 25 10:23:39 PDT 2003

MARVELOUS! Fantastic story, Bernd!!!

Thank you for reporting it to the list.

Maybe I was even more impressed because it is a Country (and a region) that
I knew well many, many years ago. And to see your "passion issues" as
"temas de paixão" was really wonderfull too ;-)

I am not sure, but I think that some time ago I have noticed that in
Michael's OST map Mozambique was not yet coloured as an "OST country". I
think it should after the marvelous work you are doing there.

On the other hand, if you don't mind, and as soon as I have some free time,
I will put a Portuguese summary of your report in the "Iberian languages Wiki".

Now two completelly different comments:

At 17:55 25-09-2003 +0200, WB-TrainingConsultingDevelopment wrote:

>(...) So I skipped the explanation of the principles and the law at that
>point. After lunch I felt, we had to go to action. So the agenda was
>produced. I hoped to be able to explain the principles, laws, animals
>later. I should have known better though. When the market had digested the
>complexity of 140 themes, they did not care for me any longer, they simply
>went to work (This may partly explain the immobile clusters which I
>observed later on).

>Today more than anytime before, I felt, how rubust a technique this open
>space thing is. I would call each OST practitioner , who forgets to
>explain the basic principles of open space, a hopeless case. But it worked
>anyway.

I don't want to put my words in your mouth, but your much larger and
beautifull experience seems to confirm something I have done here in a much
smaller scale. In 2 OST events I voluntarily did not mention the
"principles" at all - but mentioned the law and made sure all the other
"foundations" of OST were present. And it worked fine...

So - sorry, Harrison - I wonder if the so called "principles of OST" are
really needed and if they are really "principles" at all. And if to talk
about them in the presentation is not "one less thing" that needs to be done...

And a second small observation is:

>But there had been a good presentation of the givens. The message: this
>workshop will deal with your "temas de paixao" and "what you will not do,
>will not be done here" had come through. So - not as paradoxally as my
>first thought had seen it - I could perceive the principles and the law
>emerge during the ongoing group work. And of course there were both
>animals around. Simply because they knew what they wanted and of course
>also because the event was not controlled after the groups had started
>their work.

Maybe I am wrong, but I can't see any "givens" (stated by the sponsor) -
and the only "given" I can see is "a truly Open Space".

Interesting.

And thanks again.

Artur