attachment and detachment

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Wed Sep 24 08:52:45 PDT 2003

Larry -- thanks for your example.  Here is one from recent trip to
facilitate, demonstrate and train in OST, capacity building and coaching in
Siberia.  I'm also including the pictures that went with it for those who
would live to have a look!

Some of these teddies went to OSonOS for the Access Queen table and 4 went
to the Children's Ward in one of the hopsitals.  The bears were knitted by
Elders in my Mother's church.  I leave the following in the reflect tone it
was written in.

So much is coming back -- the pictures of teddy bears brought back an
interesting energy exchange.  I had been walking around the room sending
love to the hearts of the babies.   As I was leaning over the premature
baby's crib and Michelle took the picture -- a split second later the baby
in the crib directly to my left sent a signal to his equipment -- it was
three beeps -- everyone jumped and thought there was something wrong, there
wasn't.  I laughed and thanked the baby for letting me know that he knew we
were there!

In the afternoon of that same day, a woman in a perceived position of power
was sitting in a place to bless or block a project that was born out of one
of  a two day OST  meeting we  facilitated with nursing faculty,  medical
administrators, board members and students in the most incredible falling
down building ever!  In fact the building right in front of it is totally
abandoned and falling down -- a physical representation of the crumbling and
rebuilding that is going on in people's hearts.  Michelle moved to open the
meeting -- and I was again amazed at how we had not spent hours planning the
facilitation -- it just emerged.   I was sitting next to our translator,
Marina, who was doing an amazing job of detaching and translating everything
to me -- without emotion.  Marina had an intention to learn and watched very
closely throughout the two weeks -- and shared her learnings with us.   I
found myself called to participate in some of the discussions -- the Head
Nurse of the Region and President of the Board (same person) was sitting
there -- with her supervisor watching.   When she and I had met the week
before, I found myself handing her a bear's claw totem that had been given
to me by the Chief of Bear River First Nation at the occasion of
facilitating a group in birthing Mi'kmawey Debert -- she loved it.  I also
found myself sitting physically next to her after walking the circle in this
meeting.  I heard the three beeps in my heart and opened up the energy from
the baby to this very brave woman.  I moved into a coaching role and found
myself talking about the courage I had witnessed in formal and informal
leadership with the group.  It was clear I was to just help her sit -- sit
with whatever was coming up -- to sit with her -- to connect the energy of
the baby and bring whatever words and actions were necessar y   -- to ask
some of those questions that needed to surface.

After breathing with her a bit, I looked around the circle.  It was like she
was the commander and her generals had made a decision without her, and her
supervisor was there to watch it all so she needed to save face -- she was
hearing about a project to create a School of Best Practices for Nurses
(including leadership training) for the first time.  Her first few comments
were about obstacles and I sat watching several women who were beginning to
show tears -- sensing possibility of their hopes being dashed, this time by
one of their own.  It was as if I was watching the dance of feminine and
masculine energy in each person -- when to reflect, when to do!  Then a
small blonde woman with an amazing smile -- Tatiana (Board Member) -- stood
up and said I have gifts for Judichka and Michellichka!  She had small round
wood carvings from a sacred tree in the Altai, made by a carver friend of
hers -- in the center was the outline of a Maple Leaf.  She also had a small
red cross to the side of each for our work in health care.  In the center of
Michelle's is a finely carved outline of a swallow -- for her heart and
bravery, swiftness.  In the center of mine is an eagle -- for vision, clear
seeing and bravery.  Everyone clapped as she presented them.  Tatiana had
brilliantly  facilitated the connect ion to  heart and mind in a few
moments.  We sat breathing -- and what came out of me was ..... you are like
fine Russian Artists -- standing in front of an empty canvas -- the
possibilities are endless.  You have spent 5 days with us and our
processes -- you know your own capacity, you have recognized the leadership
in each other, you know your desires, you have formed a collective, the
colors and what you paint are yours to choose.   Whenever it starts is the
right time!   As a few more people spoke, the Head Nurse graciously accepted
the proposal.

And, Michelle, with her amazing heart, who could not hear the interpreter in
the beginning to know what was going on, sat across the circle from me fully
trusting whatever was happening, a bright smile on her face. How brave is
Michelle?  We had not discussed  our  co-facilitation and Michelle had just
started right in during our very first facilitation with the Board -- to my
surprise and delight at the same time.   Part way in it came to me to
provide space for vision, celebration, appreciation of the careers of these
nurses all in one-half hour space.  I turned to Michelle and invited her to
be a nurse again.  She was a little surprised and agreed.  Marina and I were
the only two in the room who had not been in the formal nursing profession.
I then invited all to participate in an appreciative inquiry of their
nursing practices, and it came to me to demonstrate this with the Head Nurse
of the Region (the one mentoined above).  She was willing and we spent a few
minutes -- me appreciatively inviting her to explore one of her most
treasured memories.  Marina was amazing -- sitting back and watching it all
and every now and again brilliantly making an observation.  Marina was our
translator throughout and it was she and her sister who instigated bringing
us to Siberia.  Then Marina and I had the joy of watching a room full of
nurses reminiscing about their careers with joy and new passion.  The group
Michelle was in was simply delighted to have her to themselves right away!
A wonderful way to launch desires for expansion, recognition and
professionalism.   During the OST facilitations we chose to both hold the
space -- dynamically and magnetically, honoring the feminine and masculine.
As one of us dynamically facilitated the opening of the space with words and
actions, the other magnetically held and supported the space.  It was an
interesting experience and I'm sure we will have more to say as the
debriefing continues!

And since that time -- well, yesterday Marina's sister, Irina had a
follow-up meeting at her Department - 16 women explored the creation of the
school of best practices for nursing  (the project mentioned above) .  Plans
were discussed and put into motion - will receive the full report soon.
Tamara Yakovlevna Tselischeva is a main nurse of the clinic for lung
problems and a board member, she wrote to the Russian Ministry of Health to
point out that there has been little done on nursing reform and to request
support for the Association.  She also expressed displeasure at the
appointment of someone's son-in-law to the position of Main Nurse for the
City.   Everyone was surprised at this act -- at one time in Russia that
would have been a very risky thing to do -- voice displeasure in the
government.  Marina pointed out to them that Tamara might just be an engine
for stimulating the government al support  (even Marina is jumping into the
coaching role with ease and also mentored her sister in facilitating the
follow up meeting).  The Head Nurse of the Hospital of Veterans is using the
processes we demonstrated with her staff and has sayings and principles from
the meetings on her walls -- in Russian of course.

It is a beautiful sunny day here in Nova Scotia.... after a night of rain
that the trees and birds loved!

with love,
Judi

 www.ponoconsultants.com