Attachment and Detachment

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Tue Sep 23 10:31:19 PDT 2003

Julie, Winston and all... thank you for exploring such wonderful thoughts.
I will share a bit of my experience as simply that... neither right or
wrong, my experience thus far.

No attachment to outcome to me is similar to inviting those in the opening
of space to (as Gerard put it) honor the group by getting out of the way.
Answering a call, showing up and being present, remembering that whatever
happens is the only thing that could.  You never get it wrong, and you never
get it done.  I don't see detachment as uncaring.  And I am learning more
about minding my own business.

I see a distinction between non-judgment and acceptance.  I, in no way,
accept the police with machine guns who stopped our little bus for periodic
checks on the road to the Altai Rebublic in Siberia earlier this month.  It
is also not my place to judge.  In curiosity I asked Siberians what it meant
to them.  I choose to see the beautiful scenery, the people with deep
psychic connection to the land, our amazing driver and the large hearts of
those I travelled with, and how the guards let us pass easily and
effortlessly.

Like Winston's offering of Thich Nhat Hahn's bit of poem, I see myself in
the face of the machine gun official and the beautiful woman selling flowers
on the corner -- the crumbling brick and the glitter of gold on top of
cathedrals.  The more I stay with the polarities, the closer I get to what
might be described as a transendent state -- one side good, one side bad,
and the middle -- it just is.

Over the years I worked with rights based issues, I often saw my desire to
help turn to aggression - after all I could see clearly what was right --
why couldn't they (soft smile).  My learning is that aggression breeds
aggression -- period.

Winston, you spoke of desire and attachment - it isn't the desire, but the
attachment that causes suffering.  Desire is what changes the world.  The
accepted reality was that no one could break the 4 minute mile, til Roger
Bannister did it -- then everyone believed it and started to do it.  There
is great desire for amazing medical breakthroughs -- and, as we all know,
often scientists say they fail their way into success -- there is great
detachment as they just keep going because of their deep desire.

There is great love in your "desire" to help others, Julie.  I've seen your
heart and the way others respect you in Fairbanks and all of Alaska -- you
don't ask for that respect, it is given -- you are detached to that outcome.
Thank you for your desiring, Julie!  I feel it all the way to Atlantic
Canada! <big wide grin>

with love,
Judi