Comparing methodologies (was: That American bloke in France) (long)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Sep 13 12:05:06 PDT 2003

Thanks to Martin and Artur for this great discussion of methologies.

In my twenty-plus years of facilitation, working with a variety of methods,
there have certainly been times when I have revised a design to meet unexpected
circumstances. . .though usually that has been in the direction of abandoning
my planned activity to go with the idea, more appropriate to this moment,
that has emerged from the group.

Recently I was facilitating a two-day Open Space for an organization that was
facing a mandated restructuring (mandated by the funding agency for this
non-profit group).  The first day, there was a lot of tension in the room, and
much distrust.  Predictably, participants were not very open in sharing their
true feelings and ideas.

I had dinner with the management team, and they were not happy.  Some were
angry that staff members were not taking full advantage of this wonderful
opportunity to participate in the restructuring process.  Others were angry that
their staff members were being put down for being there with their true feelings
of fear and distrust.

We spent three hours over dinner.  Almost everyone thought we should do
something different, but no one knew what to do.  I finally said that Day Two would
begin, as usual, with Morning News, and I would make it clear that feelings
could be shared, as well as new session announcements.  I went to bed feeling
that I was probably the only one who thought this was going to work.

In the morning, after a few logisitical announcements, a young man stood and
asked if he could announce a new session.  "I have some questions that haven't
been answered, and I hope that some of the managers will join me in this
session."  The director immediately replied that she would be there, and would
answer any questions she had answers for.  Two other small groups convened as
scheduled, and most of the 60 people stayed in the room.

The young man asked his questions calmly and without blame.  He persisted
until he was satisfied that he and others had asked everything that was on their
minds and hearts.  The director sat on the floor, and answered every question
she could, with no defensiveness.  Other managers contributed further
information.  A young woman pulled up a flip chart and started listing "What we know.
. ."  After 45 minutes, it seemed that everyone's questions had been answered,
so the convenor said, "I think it is over."

As you might guess, the tone of the rest of the day was quite different.
Noise levels were higher as many people enthusiastically participated in
discussions.  I heard laughter, and a lot of ideas being proposed.

I can't imagine anything that I could have done as a facilitator, or that the
design team could have done, that would have been as powerful as holding
space for the group to do the work themselves!

It is this kind of experience that encourages me to use OST whenever it seems
appropriate.  And I agree with Artur that it is the new structure of OS that
creates the possibility of change.

Joelle