AW: Graphic recorder in Open Space

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Sat Sep 13 11:36:56 PDT 2003

  coming back from a hot summer in our house in tuscany, where cleaning the
space underneath the olive trees was more important than methods, back to
the PC amongst 570 other mails I found your discussion about Visual
Facilitators in open space sessions.

  A bit late I want to add some remarks. For me the two so far went together
beautifully. The visual results show to everybody what was going on, also
where she/he did not take part, show the larger picture including all the
contributions, as a partipant from VW Coaching once told me .

  I saw you describing your different experiences, and I liked it.

  I saw what Florian Fischer wrote:

  my own thinking about visualizing the process of something like open space
ving«
  yes, because it makes the people smile, its good decoration, it looks well.
  no, because a picture fixes the phantasie to the special view of the visualizer
  a word opens a lot of pictures, a picture is a picture is a picture.

  Florian, I am surprised. I remember well the story you told to the Vienna Conference. You went into a park to relax, overheard some men in heavy discussions, went nearer and made some rough drawings which you hang on the columns of a little temple. The men came, saw the drawings, found their discussion in the drawings and by that found a solution. They asked you, if you could come every weekend to visualize their regular discussions and even offered you to pay the flight from Berlin to Vienna (did I get it right?).

  I will never forget this story. I am convinced, that your drawings were neither good decoration nor looked especially well. They were true, and they touched the men.

  We talk about our work, to find out what it is what we are doing. Why we are touching people, like you. We come to the conclusion, that to get in touch with our little pictures is something like creation itself. To understand them with the heart is a creative act.

  Margaret Wheatley says: "If we want peoples' intelligence and support, we must welcome them as co-creators. People only support what they create!"

  We assume, that understanding the pictures is a creative co-creation, and a strong base for peoples' support for the process. More often stronger than words. Stronger than methods. An access to something that Christopher Alexander calls "The quality with no name".

  Normally we accompany some moderators in their work, i.e. OS. We ask ourselves, if sometimes the pictures really need a method, or if we couldn't work with people purely with pictures, they drawing, we drawing, with a lot of trust words seldomly initiate. But that would open another dialogue ...

  Love

  Reinhard

  VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
  Kuchenmueller & Dr.Stifel