Conversing about..."the right conditions" (fwd)

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Sat Sep 13 00:11:51 PDT 2003

I agree totally - acceptance of what happened is a pre-requisite for
learning from what happened. Actually I would take it one step further
and say that you should not just *accept* what happens, you should
*appreciate* it. To me acceptance means "yeah OK, I can live with that",
while appreciation means "I appreciate this happening right now, with
all the good AND bad implications". Does anybody else see this distinction?

To take it one step further, acceptance seems to me to be a little more
passive whereas appreciating something is an active, conscious decision
to find the good in that thing. And to me at least, appreciating what
happens puts me in a learning mode.

Marei's post cleared one more thing up for me, namely that my thinking
has been "Hey, if everyone just accepts whatever happens, nobody will
ever learn." But nobody reacts that way do they? We humans are learning
machines, we can't NOT learn.

Cheers

Alexander

Marei Kiele wrote:

> About letting go and getting things done, about accepting and learning
> and about past, future and Now - I've been thinking a lot these last
> two days. And Chris, Ted, Alexander, Lisa, Shay and Harrison - thank
> you so much for sharing, your thoughts have been extremely helpful to me.
>
> With accepting what happened I find myself doing better and better.
> But letting go plans and dreams and visions for the future - this
> seemed to be not only hard but not even desirable.
>
> And then today, just by the way, I recognized two voices in me (kind
> of arguing). And I want to ask if any of you knows these voices, too.
> One of them saying: If you are not heading for a better future and not
> working hard on it (not only for yourself but for others) - you are
> just not worth living the life you live (thanks Lisa for our
> conversation in Bramstrup). And I decided not to agree with that voice.
>
> And the other one was saying: If you don't concentrate on what you do
> and on what you're aiming for and work hard for it you will never
> reach anything.
> And suddenly I realized that this voice is a relative of those saying,
> open space will not work because we always need somebody being in
> charge and controlling the work. And I said no to that voice, too.
>
> The thought popped up in my mind that perhaps we don't have to plan
> and concentrate on learning. Maybe accepting and learning is just ONE
> thing - not two different. Maybe when I am open and live with an
> expanded Now my learning happens by the way.
> For example I remember learning English: In which situation my
> learning is more fun and even more sucessful? If I concentrate on my
> “mistakes” and on what vocabulary I “should” use next time? Or if I
> just talk and am open to the impressions around me? I do remember my
> English beeing most fluent when I am authentic, not controlling
> myself, not controlling the outcome. If I just DO (as Chris sujested)
> and go step by step - suddenly I've got things done.
>
> One of the sentences I love in “Expanding Our Now” is: “Somewhere
> along the line we came up with the absurd notion that if everybody did
> just what they wanted to, nothing would get done.” (S.33).
> Referring to this I wish to say: “Somewhere along the line we came up
> with the absurd notion that if we accepted what happened, we would
> never learn.”
>
> But we do - and better than ever, don't we?
>
> Marei

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit:

Alexander Kjerulf
www.kjerulf.com
alexander at kjerulf.com
Tagensvej 126, lejl. 102
2200 København N.
+45 2688 2373

Trænger du til noget arbejdsglæde? Kender du nogen som gør?
www.projektarbejdsglaede.dk

>From  Sat Sep 13 09:24:28 2003
and say that you should not just *accept* what happens, you should
*appreciate* it.

I agree with you Alexander,

I think that acceptance as you described it occurs largely within the head
while appreciation definitely lives within the heart.

ashley