Conversing about..."the right conditions"

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Sun Sep 7 11:18:21 PDT 2003

Hello again:

For someone like myself that has problems with the capitalized word Spirit
(as well as with some other capitalized words) and with the wording of the
"principle" that says "whatever happens is the only thing that could have"
I felt very surprised as I completely agree with this formulation (from
Alan's, "The Conversing Company"):

"... When people interact under the right conditions, spirit or
intelligence emerges automatically - it is the only thing that could have".

The way I see the "right conditions" to be present, or not, are the following:

- In "normal organizations", using current meeting methodologies, the wrong
conditions are normally present - they are "closed" by rules and
regulations, both explicit and tacit.

- In our outside macro-world the wrong conditions are normally present (see
the Middle East or Iraq - before and now - to give only two examples -
maybe three).

- Inside our heads the wrong conditions are normally present  - as obsolete
"mental models".

For the space to be open it is necessary that someone opens it AND that the
"right conditions" are defined/clarified in the first place. Those right
conditions are not only the OST principles and law but also: the correct
preparation, the fact that all stakeholders with enough diversity are
invited (but not obliged, directly or indirectly) to participate, a right
and open theme is addressed, etc.

I would very much like to see what others think that are the "right
conditions" for "whatever happens is the only thing that could happen" to
be true.

Regards

Artur