Chicago Social Forum (again) AND Conversing about..."the right conditions"

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Thu Sep 11 21:06:50 PDT 2003

Lisa's hit the nail on the head.  Breathing is a good way to do it,
because what you are doing is letting go of all that could-have-been's
and might-have-been's.

I very much like the work of Byron Katie in this respect, who invites us
not to let go of stories but to loosen ourselves up so that the stories
let go of us.  We all have little hooks that grab stories like "this
could have gone better if..."

Truth is we will never know.  I find evaluations of that sort to be
relatively unhelpful myself which is why I have reverted to using a
really simple evaluation form for Open Space.  Instead of asking
participants what would have worked better, or what worked well and what
didn't, I simply give them a piece of paper and ask them to complete the
statement "As a result of this meeting..."  What I get from that is a
really deep insight into what REALLY happened for people, and it's
always deeper than I guessed it was.

While they are filling it out, I breathe.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada