AW: Change Management

Change Management Toolbook holger at change-management-toolbook.com
Fri Nov 14 08:15:54 PST 2003

Hi Elena,

I disagree with Michael (he knows, we are getting along quite well -
Michael, I hope you don't mind). Open Space is a great tool for
understanding emerging systems. But there is a nice saying:

"Only fools worship their tools."

There is much more than Open Space, and it is difficult to tell you where to
begin. A quick and dirty answer, which describes my mindmap:

Studying the books of Peter Senge is not a bad start, with all care. I would
skip "The Fifth Discipline" and start with "The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook"
right away, followed by "The Dance of Change" (which explains very well why
Change Management often does not work).

The new book: "Jane Watkins and Bernhard Mohr: Appreciative Inquiry, Change
at the Speed of Imagination" has a lot of interesting thoughts.

There are much more books to consult, I attach a more detailed list of books
that influenced my thinking below. You might check the Change Management
Toolbook, a website that I run for some introductory information, and an
annotated literature list (most of the books mentioned below are described
in more detail). http://www.change-management-toolbook.com/. I also run a
monthly newsletter, in which you find links, literature reviews and tools.
Feel free to subscribe. By the way, we are underway to plan a Change
Management training course in Russia. So let's stay in touch.

"Change is a journey, not a blueprint, and cannot be mandated." That means,
you have to find your way around. But the nice thing about system thinking
is - you just start somewhere and you can be sure that it is interconnected
to a bigger system.

Finally, I would like to put you into contact with Aljona Pavlouzkaya
(bridges at strannik.east.ru), who lives in Moscow and is building up her
concept on Change Management (with your assumed permission, Aljona).

Best regards,
Holger

This is my personal literature list. You might start anywhere.

Bandler, R. and Grinder, J.: The Structure of Magic. Vol. 1 Palo Alto, 1975.
Capra, F.: The Tao of Physics. Shambala, Boston, 1975
Capra, F.: The Web of Life Harper & Colins Publishers, London, 1996.
De Bono, E.: Six Thinking Hats". MICA Management Resources, Inc., New York,
1985.
Dilts, R.B.: Changing Belief Systems with NLP. Meta Publications, Capitola,
1990.
Dilts, R.B.: Modelling With NLP. Meta Publications, Capitola, 1998.
Dilts, R.B.: Strategies of Genius Vol. I, II and III. Meta Publications,
Capitola, 1994-1995
Dilts, R.B.: Visionary Leadership Skills. Meta Publications, Capitola, 1996
Furman, B.; Tapani, A.: Pickpockets on a Nudist Camp. The Systemic
Revolution in Psychotherapy. Dulwich Centre Publications, Adelaide, 1992.
Gilligan, S.: The Courage to Love. Principles and Practices of
Self-Relations Psychotherapy. New York, 1997.
Hock, D.: Birth of the Chaordic Age. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc. San
Francisco, 1999
Lynch, D. and Kordis, P.: Dolphin Strategies. Brain Technologies Corp.,
1988.
Morgan, G.: Images Of organization. The Executive Edition. Berrett-Koehler
Publishers, Inc. San Francisco, 1998.
Owen, H.: Open Space Technology. A User's Guide. San Francisco, Berret
Koehler, 1997
Owen, H.: Tales from Open Space. Abbott Publishing, Maryland, 1995.
Pedler, M.; Burgoyne, J. and Boydell, T.: The learning Company. A Strategy
for Sustainable Development. McGraw-Hill Book Company, London, 1991
Ringland, G.; Foreworded by Schwartz, P.: Scenario Planning. Managing for
the Future. Wiley,Chichester, 1998.
Satir, V.: The New Peoplemaking. Science and Behavior Books, 1988.
Schwartz, P.: The Art of the Long View. Planning for the Future in an
Uncertain World. Currency Doubleday, New York, 1991.
Senge, P. The Fifth Discipline. The Art and Practice of the Learning
Organization. Doubleday/Currency, New York, 1990
Senge, P.; Kleiner, A.; Roberts, C.; Roos, R.B. and Smith, B.J.: The Fifth
Discipline Fieldbook. Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning
Organization. . Nicholas Brailey Publishing, London, 1994.
Shacter, D. L.: Searching for Memory. The Brain, the Mind, and the Past.
HarperCollins Publishers, New York, 1996.
Shacter, D.: Searching for Memory. The Brain, the Mind and the Past. New
York, 1996.
Waldrup, M.M.: Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and
Chaos. New York, Simon & Schuster, 1992.
Watkins, J.M.; Mohr, B.J.: Appreciative Inquiry. Change of the Speed of
Imagination. Jossey-Bass/Pfeiffer, San Francisco, 2001.