A duty to take part?

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sun Nov 9 14:33:14 PST 2003

Greetings, all ~

Larry, you said

>>>If I "take part" after starting as a facilitator it
demonstrates that I do not trust their ability to learn what they need
to learn or that "whatever happens is the only thing that could have".
I quickly negate some of the principles of Open Space.<<<

If the facilitator is coming from the fear/control place, then
intervening might very well demonstrate lack of trust in the
participants.  OST is a wonderful process for learning to trust in our
individual and collective wisdom.  The learning is powerful for both OST
facilitators and participants.

People who choose to engage with OST play with and explore the lesson of
letting go and letting be.  Over time, they integrate the lesson and it
becomes a part of who they are.  At some point, their starting point
shifts.  Instead of starting at fear and control, they start at a point
of deep trust in humanity and the OST process.

The learning doesn't stop there.  Another lesson follows.  When the
starting place is trust, then taking part is not an indication of lack
of trust.  For me, taking part is a recognition that I am part of the
whole.  There is no facilitator.  There are no participants.  There is
simply the emerging All.

Julie