A duty to take part?

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sun Nov 9 06:46:40 PST 2003

It is important for me to be clear about who's needs are being met by
"taking part".  I do believe that OST engages the group's energy,
insight and direction.  If I have a personal stake in the particular
outcomes of that event, then I don't think I'm the one to open the
space.  My role during the Open Space part of the interaction with them
is not as expert.  I do have faith that the group will learn what it
needs to learn when it self-organizes, even if I could provide some
"expertise".  If I "take part" after starting as a facilitator it
demonstrates that I do not trust their ability to learn what they need
to learn or that "whatever happens is the only thing that could have".
I quickly negate some of the principles of Open Space.

I am most happy to reflect with them after the experience on our mutual
learning -- action/reflection like Paulo Friere but afterwards.  Then my
role is clear.  I also have recently worked with a Canadian who worked
closely with Friere before moving here.  The "ideas" are so important
that Open Space is not a possibility for her -- she could not open a
space for her organization because she could not help but intervene in
the substance of the analysis during that time.  Since there was not
real space, we used other approaches and had a very good session -- but
it was not Open Space.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation