typing their own notes...

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed May 28 10:15:30 PDT 2003

I've done some one-day Open Spaces without computers on site, just given
people report forms to fill in by hand.  Whether the report is put on posterboard
or a paper report form, the process does reduce the notes down to the
essentials.  And the reports do come in on time!  One group photocopied all the
handwritten reports, and they were in the hands of the participants before the end
of the next work day.  For a recent small OS, I transcribed all the notes in
less than an hour, and e-mailed them.

When computers are available, I've been leaving a bit of extra time just
prior to the closing circle, so reports can be finished, and this seems to work
well.

As for those who do not type, I'd do the same as I do for those who may not
read or write--I always suggest that each breakout group agree who will be
responsible for the report (does not have to be the convenor), and that the group
might want to spend their last five minutes deciding what key points they want
to report.

Joelle