typing their own notes...

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue May 27 15:57:22 PDT 2003

Hi Peggy:

I have had "secretaries" type up notes and find that the end result is
not nearly as satisfying as when people do it themselves.  I wouldn't
classify them as disasters however, in my experience anyway.

I find that for anything less than one day, people generally express the
complaint that there isn't enough time to type up notes AND go to all
the sessions they want to.  So I'm generally flexible on this point with
my clients, after giving them the appropriate caveats about the quality
of the product.

Another option, if typing is the issue, is to hand out poster board or
flipchart paper and ask people to makes sense of their notes by
transcribing them on the paper and then posting these on the news wall.
This makes it a lot easier to handle graphics and diagrams and allows
for more colour and stuff to be incorporated into the notes.  Reading
the proceedings is easier on the news wall and the actual document can
be produced with digital photos of the proceedings, or by people
transcribing the re-written text later.

The real value of having people do their own notes I think is giving
them the opportunity to revisit them instead of just dumping a bunch of
raw bullet points on to secretaries who can't decipher them.  That seems
to me to be the important point.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN